Leadership, Education and Development (LEAD) Programme
Empowering change through education
LEAD is an academic project which aims to inspire positive changes in Ukraine by actively shaping the mind-set of the next generation of public leaders. We want to motivate talented young people to work for the government and to seek improvement and optimisation of the processes and systems currently in place. During the programme we aim to equip them with skills and tools to do so.
Leadership, Education And Development (LEAD) Programme is an academic project providing talented Ukrainian students with an opportunity to spend ten days in London in order to gain exposure to and insight into the professional environment, work ethics and corporate culture of the UK’s public and private institutions. Through attendance of topical presentations, participation in workshops, case studies and other activities, participants hone their communication, organisation and political skills, and explore concepts of transparency, compliance, and public governance. Organized by the Young City Club, part of the Ukrainian-British City Club (UBCC), and with endowment from the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine, LEAD Programme endeavours to motivate young Ukrainians to learn from the best Western practices and to apply them to systems, institutions and values in their native Ukraine.
During the course of the programme we aim to:
- Familiarise participants with the workings of public and private institutions in the United Kingdom.
- Organise targeted training in subject areas that would be particularly useful in public sector jobs in Ukraine (e.g. municipal governance, lobbying, project management).
- Provide opportunities for networking and information sharing with corporate professionals, public officers, students and peers.
- Create opportunities to apply acquired knowledge and skills in public sector institutions and government bodies upon return to Ukraine.
- Maintain contact with our alumni, providing them with further mentoring.
A group of up to twelve students from various regions in Ukraine who meet the following criteria:
- Current Masters students
- Able to demonstrate leadership qualities, academic excellence and active social engagement
- Advanced level of English
- Interest in working for the public sector in Ukraine
Participants must be eligible to travel to the United Kingdom and be able to meet all visa requirements.
We are thrilled to announce that the selection of the 2015 Programme participants has been finalized! In the process we have reviewed 238 applications, conducted 35 Skype interviews and chose 12 of the best and the brightest! We are looking forward to the beginning of the Programme and are excited to welcome the finalists in London this August. Below are the final twelve’ stats: